Sub Antarctic Working Group
Chaired by Rowenna Malone and Co-Chaired by Laetitia Therond
Task and role
1. To monitor through its membership developments on the sub-Antarctic islands that have relevance to polar heritage issues, and to consider general need for advice, feedback or guidance that the IPHC could potentially offer.
2. To advise IPHC ExCom on any recommended actions by IPHC in relation to Sub-Antarctic island heritage issues in general, or in relation to specific issues in each management jurisdiction;
3. Actions recommended by the WG for IPHC consideration might include the development of:
· guidelines or policy recommendation on issues common across Sub-Antarctic areas;
· background papers for circulation or publication;
· submissions or responses to national managers about specific heritage issues;
· other actions that the WG thinks will advance the identification, conservation, management and broader understanding of heritage sites.
4. The IPHC Executive might then request the WG to develop draft papers or submissions on those issues;
5. The WG will also scope, as far as it is able, the state of conservation on each of the Sub-Antarctic islands, noting the extent of site identification programs, conservation activity and evidence of ongoing management. This may give rise to a recommendation to the IPHC ExCom for specific action or submissions as above;
6. The WG might seek information from Sub-Antarctic managers or other experts in the course of researching particular issues, but only the IPHC Executive can authorise submissions or comment on issues directly to National Antarctic Managers. The WG shall maintain copies of all correspondence undertaken which will be forwarded with a summary to the IPHC Secretary-General on the anniversary of the WG’s formation, or as the progress of issues suggest;
7. The Executive Committee member of the WG's role is, in part, to ensure that the role of the WG and its relationship to the ExCom is clearly defined and maintained. The ExCom member(s) in consultation with the WG Convenor will communicate to ExCom any issues in relation to roles that need clarification;
8. The WG will refer to itself in correspondence with others as 'the Working Group on Sub-Antarctic Heritage of the International Polar Heritage Committee (ICOMOS)'. It will not present itself in any other way as representing the IPHC or ICOMOS.